Monday, July 14, 2008

Travel Advice for the Caffeine Addict

My wife is addicted to caffeine, a fact to which she will readily admit. In the morning, she has two large latte mugs of coffee, and at various prescribed times throughout the day, she'll have a Diet Coke. If she misses a dose, she gets...cranky, also a fact to which she will readily admit. One year during college, she declared that she would give up caffeine for Lent. By the end of the first week, people were anonymously leaving cases of Diet Coke outside the door to her dorm room. Things I cannot make up.

When we were traveling in and around London, we had several dicey moments because we were in a place where she couldn't get a hit. I'm ashamed to say that we were saved several times by Starbucks. That's when I hit upon a brilliant idea. If you're a caffeine addict, just kick your habit before you travel. (Ha ha! I couldn't even type that with a straight face.) No, seriously, the answer is chocolate-covered coffee beans. Much more portable than a double cappuccino. Just drop them in your purse, backpack, or other touristy carrying accessory, and when you feel the headache about to set in, pop a few in your mouth.

And if you think my wife's dependency is bad, we have a friend who hit upon the diabolical idea of brewing coffee with caffeinated water. I seriously don't think she's slept since.

No comments: